Research Handbook - Graduate Student Researchers
This student research handbook applies most directly to the PhD & MA programs. However, students in other programs may find the resources listed here useful for their research as well.
Faculty of Education Research Office
The Supervisor-Graduate Student Relationship
Scholarship & Funding Opportunities
Obtaining Ethics Approval for Research with Human Participants
Standardized Tests for Research
- The Faculty of Education has a Test Library. The Library holdings include a variety of standardized Psychological Tests for use for research and educational purposes. Please contact the Research Office to inquire about test availability.
Data Collection and Protection (Encryption)
- From the Ontario Centre of Excellence for Child and Youth Mental Health, some advice on methods for:
- The Faculty of Education has a licence for SuperLab, a tool for building experiments. With SuperLab, you can present images, text, and video, and collect responses accurately from participants. Please contact the Research Office if you wish to use the program.
- Western University's web-based survey instrument, Qualtrics, is available to student researchers.
- Encryption is a mechanism that protects your valuable information, such as your research data from unwanted people accessing or changing it. See this ITS website or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information and assistance.
Analyzing Research Data
- Data Analytics Help Service - through Western Libraries - statistical consulting for research; drop-in help with learning or teaching statistics or research methods courses
- Dedoose, although not free, is a reasonably priced cross-platform application for analyzing qualitative and mixed methods research with text, photos, audio, videos, spreadsheet data and other data.
- The Faculty of Eduation has data analysis programs installed on several computers in the building.
- Qualitative Data Analysis
- NVivo- available on computers in the Graduate Study Room (1142-above cafeteria)
- Atlas.ti - available in Graduate Study Room (1142 above cafeteria)
- Quantitative Data Analysis
- SPSS - available on computers in Room 1142 (above cafeteria)
- SPSS - Also available through MyVLab (Western Campus Resource for Students)
- SAS - available from Western's ITS
- Statistical examples (thanks to the Faculty of Social Science)
- Qualitative Data Analysis
Mobilizing the Knowledge from your Research
- Help with Writing - Western's Writing Support Centre
- Knowledge Mobilization
- Authorship - Definition of Authorship; Determining Authorship; Order of Authorship (see Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, Section 1.13 - Available in the Research Office and the Education Library)
- Open Access (OA) is a principle by which scholarly content is made available online free of charge and with minimal copyright and licensing restriction.
- Scholarship@Western is an open access platform to disseminate the scholarship created by Western researchers.
- Robert Macmillan Graduate Research in Education Symposium
- Creating Poster Presentations and Printing Posters