Resources for Students

Student Resources

As a graduate student, there are two types of funding available to support your research. You can apply for internal travel grants from the Faculty of Education to cover conference travel to present research results. Also available are a number of external funding opportunities. Here are the links to internal opportunities and to Pivot - a large international database for searching external research funding opportunties.


Problem opening a .pdf?

We recommend opening pdfs using Internet Explorer. 

If using Firefox:
In the upper right-hand corner, click 'Open With Different Viewer' button and select Adobe Acrobat Reader from the drop down menu.
OR   → Menu → Options → Applications → Portable Doc Format → Drop down - Use Adobe Acrobat Reader.

If using Google Chrome:
  → Copy and paste the following into the search bar in Chrome; chrome://settings/content → Press Enter → Under the section 'PDF Documents', enable the button to Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome.

External Grants

SSHRC Awards and Scholarships

If you are interested in applying to the Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) for a doctoral award or masters' scholarship, consult Western's Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies webpage on external funding: