Handbook - Faculty Researchers
Faculty of Education Research Office
Writing your Grant Application
Submitting your Grant Application
Setting up your Research Account
Spending your Research Grant
- The researcher is responsible for all expenditures charged to research accounts and must ensure that expenditures are compliant within the spending restrictions of the granting agency. For further information, review the granting agency’s guidelines or contact Research Finance.
- Research Finance - Online reference tool - provides information on the financial management of research funds including these topics:
- Delegation of Signing Authority
- Project Activation
- Receiving and Sending Funds
- Spending Project Funds
- Over-expended Policy
- Financial Statements
- The researcher must check his/her research statements on a monthly basis to ensure that all activity on the account is correct. This document provides the steps to retrieve research statements from PeopleSoft. When you review your account details, the first page is a summary and the following pages provide a breakdown of the activity in the grant.
- Carry Forward of Unspent Balances
- Project End Date: Extend or Close
- Use of Tri-Council (SSHRC, CIHR, NSERC) Funds (Research Finance)
- Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide -provides information on the eligibility of expenses and the required supporting documentation
- Tri-Council Reference Guide on the Use of Grant Funds -Western Research Finance's document provides a quick reference on eligibility of different expense types.
- Tri-council funds cannot be used to pay for general office supplies and accessories. If required for the research project the PI must explain, in writing, how the supplies are essential to his/her research activities. For more information please see this link.
- Conference Travel
Obtaining Ethics Approval
Standardized Tests for Research
- The Faculty of Education has a Test Library. The Library holdings include a variety of standardized Psychological Tests for use for research and educational purposes. Please contact the Research Office to inquire about test availability.
Data Collection and Protection (Encryption)
- The Faculty of Education has a licence for SuperLab, a tool for building experiments. With SuperLab, you can present images, text, and video, and collect responses accurately from participants. Please contact the Research Office if you wish to use the program.
- Western University's web-based survey instrument, Qualtrics, is available to faculty researchers.
- Encryption is a mechanism that protects your valuable information, such as your research data from unwanted people accessing or changing it. See this ITS website or contact email@example.com for information and assistance.
- Confidentiality Form for Research Personnel
- Office of Research Ethics - Guidelines & Templates, including Confidentiality & Data Security, and OBI LOI Confidentiality
- Police Record Checks are recommended for researchers / research personnel who are working with children or other vulnerable populations (and may be required by many institutions before access to participants will be granted).
The Faculty of Education and Western have data analysis programs available.
- Qualitative Data Analysis
- NVivo- available on computers in lab located in room 2021
- Quantitative Data Analysis
, although not free, is a reasonably priced cross-platform application for analyzing qualitative and mixed methods research with text, photos, audio, videos, spreadsheet data and other data.
Mobilizing the Knowledge from your Research