All research with human participants conducted by faculty, staff and students must be approved by a Western University Research Ethics Board before the research begins.
Student or new researchers are encouraged to complete the Tri-Council Policy Statement 2 (TCPS 2) tutorial " Course on Research Ethics" or "CORE" well before beginning the process of applying for ethics approval.
Ethics Applications: All applications for ethics approval for research with human participants must be submitted online through ROMEO (generally using the Non-Medical form) for consideration by the Non-Medical Research Ethics Board (NMREB). As each new application is received by the NMREB, it will be assessed for level of risk and designated for delegated review (minimal risk) or for review by the Full Board. Many applications from the Faculty of Education are eligible for delegated review as they involve very low risk procedures and adult participants. Any application that is set for delegated review will be reviewed by one reviewer from the Faculty of Education.
Attached is a blank version of the Romeo Ethics Application so that you may familiarize yourself with the information required (as of August 2015).
The Office of Research Ethics has resources to help with ROMEO submissions. If you require assistance with ROMEO please contact the Romeo helpdesk at ext. 83059 or 519-661-3059 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Also available on the Office of Research Ethics website are templates for Letters of Information & Consent, recruitment etc.Revisions to Approved Ethics Proposals : All revisions to ongoing studies must be sent to the Office of Research Ethics through ROMEO.
Research in Schools
Thames Valley District School Board (TVDSB) For research at the TVDSB obtain ethics approval from Western first. Once you have approval from Western’s Office of Research Ethics please follow the TVDSB guidelines for researchers (send copies of Criminal Record Checks, the ethics approval, ROMEO ethics application form and attachments by downloading these documents from the ROMEO system), and completing the TVDSB Application to Conduct External Research Form. These forms and additional information can be found on the TVDSB Guidelines for Researchers (PDF). The contact person at the TVDSB is Dr. Sarah Folino, Research and Assessment Associate.
London District Catholic School Board Research (LDCSB): For research at the LDCSB obtain ethics approval from Western first. Once you have approval from Western’s Office of Research Ethics please send the ethics approval, ROMEO form and attachments (you can get a word document from the system), and the School Board Form to the school board. The contact person at the LDCSB is Terry Spencer, Research & Evaluation Officer.
Other School Boards: It is recommended that you obtain ethics approval from Western first. The School Board-University Research Exchange (SURE) network provides links to school board procedures for Boards in the London-Windsor-Niagara region. For research at other school boards contact the school board directly to ascertain their requirements.
- 2nd Edition of Tri-Council Policy Statement (TCPS 2):
Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans
- Western's Non-Medical Research Ethics Board Guidelines
- Avon Maitland District School Board Procedures for External Research
- Kettle and Stony Point First Nation - Policy on Conducting Research
Tutorials, Webinars & Help
- CORE Tutorial for Tri-Council Policy Statement, Version 2 (TCPS 2)
- Educational Webinars from the Panel on Research Ethics - Qualitative Research; Research Involving First Nations, Inuit and Metis Peoples of Canada; Scope of Research Ethics Review
- Tips sheet from "Writing for Ethical Review" session presented by Katelyn Harris, Ethics Officer, November 8, 2016 (Graduate Students' Research & Professional Career Seminar Series)
- Presentation slides (in PDF form) from "Writing for Ethical Review" session presented by Katelyn Harris, Ethics Officer, November 8, 2016 (Graduate Students' Research & Professional Career Seminar Series)