Dr. Mi Song Kim
As a curriculum expert and a learning sciences researcher investigating learning, cognition and knowing in authentic practices, I have engaged in rich collaborations with schools, practitioners and community members in designing, implementing and scaling-up technology-enhanced curricula (e.g., game-based geography curriculum, mobilized science curriculum, modeling-based curriculum) in informal and formal learning contexts. I have been awarded the prestigious FQRSC scholarship from the Government of Québec, the Principal Dissertation Fellowship from McGill, the Early Researcher Award from the US National Science Foundation and the Mid-Career Workshop from 2016 International Society of the Learning Sciences. Over the last seven years I have been the Principal Investigator (PI) or Co-PI on numerous large-scale grants totaling more than $5 million in Singapore and Canada involving digital technologies, curriculum studies, assessment, multiliteracies, and teacher education.
Learning Sciences; Curriculum Studies; ECE; Vygotsky’s Theory; Cultural-Historical-Activity-Theory; Multiliteracies; Design-Based Research; Game-Based Learning; Mobile Learning; Informal Learning; Teacher Design Knowledge; STEM Education; Assessment; Learning Analytics; Neuroscience Education
Awards & Grants
- Mid-career Researcher Award, 2016. International Conference of Learning Sciences. International Society for the Learning Sciences supported by US National Science Foundation.
- Early Career Researcher Award, 2013. US National Science Foundation. International Society for the Learning Sciences supported by US National Science Foundation.
- Principal’s Dissertation Fellowship, 2007-2008. McGill University. Canada. CAD$6000
- Canadian Graduate Scholarship, 2004-2007. Fonds de recherché sur la société et la culture (FQRSC). CAD$60,000
- North American Mobility Grant, 2005. McGill University. Montreal, Canada.
- Malkin, A., Neil, N., Lee, G., Kim, M. S., & Puvirajah, A. (2021-2022). Adaptive learnign in higher education: Challenges and opportunities inherent in education during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Grant awarded by Faculty of Education Social Action Project. Western University, Canada. CAD$100,000
- Koh, E., & Kim, M. S. (2019-2021). Developing teamwork intelligence for tertiary education (TITE): A digital formative assessment tool. Grant awarded by Incentivizing ICT-Use Innovations. Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. SGD$98,920
- Jamaludin, A. B., & Kim, M. S. (2019-2021). F-MACE: fNIRS modelling for game-based affective and cognitive math learning. SUG-NAP. Grant awarded by National Institute of Education (NIE). NTU, Singapore, SGD$69,999.
- Duerden, E., & Kim, M. S. (2019-2021). The Impact of collaborative learning on multiliteracies learners: Using neuroimaging technologies to assess the multimodal learning brain network. Grant awarded by Internal Research Grant, Faculty of Education, Western University. CAD$4,969.
- Kim, M. S. (2017-2024). Teachers-as-Designers of technology-enhanced curricula: Making teacher design knoweldge (TDK) visible. Grant awarded by Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Insight Grant. Canada, CAD$243,997
- Kim, M. S. (2016-2017). Teachers’ design knowledge of technology-enhanced learning environments in Canada. Grant awarded by Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Knowledge Synthesis. Canada, CAD$24,989
- Looi, C. K., Kim. M. S., Wong, L. H. (2011-2013). Design for Scalability: From a Class Intervention to a Level Intervention. Grant awarded by the Office of Education Research, NIE, NTU, Singapore. S$249,900.
- Kim, M. S., & Kim. B. (2010-2012). An embodied modeling-based inquiry activity towards participatory learning environments. Grant awarded by the Office of Education Research, NIE, NTU, Singapore. (S$249,900)
- Hung, W. L., & Kim. M. S. (2010-2012). Investigating identity becoming trajectories within the interplay of spatial and social dimensions of affinity spaces. Grant awarded by the Office of Education Research, NIE, NTU, Singapore. (S$249,900)
- Hung, W. L., Kim. M. S., & Lim, K. (2009-2011). Metacognition within the zone of regulatory development. Grant awarded by the Office of Education Research, NTU, Singapore. (S$249,900)
- Kim, B., Kim, M. S., Miao, C. Y., Shen, Z., & Chavez, M. (2008-2011). Serious immersion and Embodied Learning: Traces of dinosaursin earth system science. Grant awarded by the National Research Foundation, Singapore. (S$1.03 million)
- Kim, M. S., Xing, M., & Kim, M. H. (2021). Technology-enhanced multiliteracies teaching toward a culturally responsive curriculum: A multiliteracies approach to ECE. Interactive Learning Environments.
- Ong, A., Teo, C. L., Tan, S., & Kim, M. S. (2020). A knowledge building approach to primary science collaborative inquiry supported by learning analytics. International Journal of Primary, Elementary and Early Years Education, 49(3), 371-386. DOI: 10.1080/03004279.2020.1854964
- Keyhani, N., & Kim, M. S. (2020). A systematic literature review of teacher entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/2515127420917355
- Kim, M. S. (2019). Developing a taxonomy for teacher design knowledge in technology-enhanced learning environments: A literature review. Research and Practice in Technology Enhanced Learning. DOI:10.1186/s41039-019-0113-4
- Kim, M. S., Park, H., & Kici, D. (2019). Network structures of in-service teachers’ collective knowledge construction: A SNA analysis of a multiliteracies online course. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, DOI:1080/14703297.2019.1675527
- Kim, M. S. (2019). Deliberative collaboration in learning-by-designing multimodal modeling activities. Interactive Learning Environments. DOI: 10.1080/10494820.2019.1627666
- Kim, M. S. (2019). Learning-by-designing literacy-based concept-oriented play (LBCOP) activities: Emergent curriculum for/with young CLD children and their teacher. Interactive Learning Environments, 27(2), 256-271, DOI: 10.1080/10494820.2018.1460615
- Kim, M. S., & Choi, H. (2018). Fostering primary pre-service teachers’ computational thinking through self-assessment. Journal of the Korean Association of Information Education, 22(1), 61-70.
- Looi, C. K., Sun, D., Kim, M. S., & Wen, Y. (2017). The impact of a professional development model for a mobilized science curriculum: A case study of teacher changes. Research in Science & Technological Education, 36(1), 86-110.
- Kim, M. S. (2016). Uncovering one trilingual child’s multiliteracies development across informal and formal learning contexts. European Early Childhood Educational Research Journal, 24(5), 414-438.
- Kim, M. S. (2015). Empowering prospective teachers to become active sense-makers: Multimodal modeling of the seasons. Journal of Science Education and Technology. 24(5), 610-627.
- Kim, M. S. (2014). Doing social constructivist research means making empathetic and aesthetic connections with participants. European Early Childhood Educational Research Journal, 22(5), 1-16.
- Wang, X., Kim, B., Lee, W. Y., & Kim, M. S. (2014). Encouraging and being encouraged. Teaching and Teacher Education, 44, 12-24.
- Kim, M. S. (2013). Teachers as learning designers through teachers’ design thinking. In N. Rummel, M. Kapur, M. Nathan & S. Puntambekar (Eds.), Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (pp. 493-494). Madison, Wisconsin, USA: International Society for the Learning Sciences.
- Kim, M. S. (2013). Technology-mediated collaborative learning environments for young CLD children and their families: Vygotsky revisited. British Journal of Educational Studies, 61(2), 221- 246.
- Jamaludin, A. B., Kim, M. S., & Hung, D. (2012). Unpacking self and socio dialectics within learners' interactive play. Computers & Education, 59(3), 1009-1020.
- Kim, M. S. (2011). Play, drawing and writing: A case study of Korean-Canadian young children. European Early Childhood Educational Research Journal, 19(4), 483-500.
- Kim, B., & Kim, M. S. (2010). Distributed emotions in the design of learning technologies. Educational Technology, Special Issue, 50(5), 14-19.
Teaching and Supervision
- 9678 Diverse Tradition: Approaches to Educational Research
- 9491 Curriculum & Pedagogy Capstone Project Course
- 9100 Understanding Curriculum for Practitioners
- 9103 Understanding Assessment and Evaluation in Educational Settings
- 9406 Early Childhood Education Capstone Project
- 9535 Language and Literacy Curriculum, Pedagogy, and Learning in a Changing World
- 9580 Introduction to Curriculum
- 9535 Language and Literacy Curriculum, Pedagogy, and Learning in a Changing World
- 9711 Qualitative Research in Education
- 9691 Master’s Seminar
- Fengchao Yu. The University of Western Ontario, Canada. Sept. 2020 – present.
- Atefeh Taherian Kalati. The University of Western Ontario, Canada. Sept. 2020 – present
- Shivani Subhash Mahedirata. The University of Western Ontario, Canada. Sept. 2020 – present
- Siu Chung Yiu. The University of Western Ontario, Canada. Sept. 2020 – present
- Negar Shabihi. The University of Western Ontario, Canada. Sept. 2019 – present
- Lian Yoshimi. The University of Western Ontario, Canada. Sept. 2019 – present
- Martin Wolak. The University of Western Ontario, Canada. Sept. 2019 – present